"traces of the places I've been,
of the folks I've seen,
of the love I've been given
and that which I gave back,
flickers of anger I have felt,
of frustration, of disbelief
and moments held up with grief,
a child of the seventies,
adolescent of the eighties,
adult of nineties,
lost in this century,
touched by the past, present and future,
questioner of all,
tomboy child running wild,
grubby knees, temper tantrums,
bullied child running scared,
not a team player, always a loner,
crashing through adolescence,
confusion, hormones and daydreams,
first love, second love, love them all.
But who am I really,
who am I now,
scarred....who isn't,
embittered...no,
alive...yes,
living...a little,
I am the human being you see before you, the name on the page, the person you wonder about in occasional absent thoughts. I am humbled by the precise moment you turn to look at me, because in your doing so I see us as if for the very first time. I am me....but most of all, you are you!"
of the folks I've seen,
of the love I've been given
and that which I gave back,
flickers of anger I have felt,
of frustration, of disbelief
and moments held up with grief,
a child of the seventies,
adolescent of the eighties,
adult of nineties,
lost in this century,
touched by the past, present and future,
questioner of all,
tomboy child running wild,
grubby knees, temper tantrums,
bullied child running scared,
not a team player, always a loner,
crashing through adolescence,
confusion, hormones and daydreams,
first love, second love, love them all.
But who am I really,
who am I now,
scarred....who isn't,
embittered...no,
alive...yes,
living...a little,
I am the human being you see before you, the name on the page, the person you wonder about in occasional absent thoughts. I am humbled by the precise moment you turn to look at me, because in your doing so I see us as if for the very first time. I am me....but most of all, you are you!"
© Berenice Dunford 2008